Sunday, January 11, 2015

Pinterest: Breakfast Casseroles

It's been a crazy week in the Linn house. Nic went back to work after having almost a full month of leave, temperatures outside have been negative windchills and temperatures with all the boys in the house have been fevers. Lucky this mom hasn't gotten sick (knock on wood).

Anyways. I did get a few hours of calm during my favorite day of the week. Thursday mornings are filled with lovely ladies and Bible study. After the winter break I was ready for the season to start back up again.

What is a group Bible study kick off without food though!

Keeping this post short and sweet, since I have two fevery boys on the couch. Two recipes, great for breakfast anytime.


Ham, Egg, and Cheese Pull Apart Bread (I so stole the pic from Pinterest... like I said it's been a long week)

What you need

6 eggs
1/3 cup milk
2 (10 oz) cans refrigerated biscuits*
1 1/2 cups diced ham
1 cup shredded cheese

Oven 350*
Spray a large baking dish with nonstick spray
Beat eggs and milk, add cheese
Cut biscuits into quarters and fold into egg mixture
Add ham and mix lightly
Place into baking dish in an even layer
Bake 25-35 minutes or until done

The original recipe called for 1/4 cup diced green onions, but mine had gone bad, though I'm sure it would have tasted great with them too. Also after 25 minutes the tops were nice and golden brown but under was still gooey, so I put foil over the top and put back in the oven (just kept an eye on it, probably had to add extra 12-18 minutes). This kept the tops from getting burnt. It was really good though!

*Ok so I've been meaning to make biscuits that you can freeze and just take out and thaw as you need. It hasn't happened yet. It will happen though... one of these days! I know those things are filled with some yuck, but lets face it sometimes (most of the time) convenience takes the lead with little things like biscuits.


Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake (Picture also taken from Pinterest. I wish I had cute wooden counter tops like that!)
Ingredients

1 stick butter, room temp
zest from one large lemon
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour (set aside 1/4 cup to toss blueberries in)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups blueberries (recipes says fresh, I used frozen... make sure they are slightly thawed!**)
1/2 cup buttermilk*

*To make your own buttermilk, place 1/2 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice (just use the lemon you zested!) in 1/2 cup measuring cup and fill the rest with milk. Let sit for 5 minutes. This is amazing to me! I NEVER buy butter milk, bc lets face it I'm not going to spend the $ on a half gallon of buttermilk when I never use more than a cup... and that's every few months!

Preheat oven to 350*
Cream together butter, lemon zest (I added a quick squeeze of lemon juice too), and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add egg and vanilla and mix until well combined.
Toss blueberries in 1/4 cup flour. <----This keeps them from sinking to the bottom! Who knew!
Mix in baking powder and salt to wet mix.
Alternate adding 1 3/4 cup flour and buttermilk.
Fold in blueberries.
Grease 9x9 baking dish, spread mixture into dish and bake 35 to 45 minutes. Insert toothpick in middle and it's done when comes out clean. I think it took about 55 minutes for mine.

This is seriously so good!

Baking Breakfasts
Carrie Danilla Linn

**Ah! Frozen blueberries! So blueberries are not in season, and as much as I LOVE my Bible study gals, I'm not spending the $ for fresh blueberries. I got frozen ones and figured they would work great bc I use them in my mini muffins all the time... I also forget that I let them slightly thaw in a bowl while I'm doing everything else with the recipes. I forgot and pulled them out right when I had to toss them into the flour then fold them in. OOPS!!!! The batter had gotten so stiff it was nearly impossible to spread! I also think this made the baking time a bit longer, though my oven is crazy so who truly knows the reason for that! Either way though, it did get cooked perfectly and I enjoyed it very much! Jameson also enjoyed the leftovers for breakfast lunch and dinner that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment