Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Pinterest: Burlap Signs

I said in the beginning that I wouldn't do much house décor bc of the fact our walls are horrible about actually holdings things up and a destructive sweet toddler getting ahold of them! But, our bedroom walls are bare and boring. I mean we only sleep in there, and there is usually laundry everywhere, but it needs some sort of life.

I've been seeing wood signs, paintings, canvas prints and such on Pinterest that I LOVE! There are so many tips and tricks to transferring letters and pictures onto wood too! This time I decided to keep it easy though with a simple and cute burlap sign. (I don't have transfer paper, scrap wood, and the tools at this moment in time)

I had some 8.5in x 11in burlap pages (I think I got to use for a friend's wedding and had extra). It shows you can run them through the printer... But I'm afraid of ruining the thing that I need to use pretty much every single day!

Easy fix though! Just print out what I want on the sign (Bc lets face it, my hand writing looks like Jameson scribbled it), cut out the letters, trace onto burlap, color in... TADA!!!! It seriously was that easy! The cutting out of letters was a little tedious, but with the sick boys snoring on the couch together, I had the time to savor crafting for once.

Here's the final project! I had a random canvas laying around that I couldn't really use
bc it had mess ups on it. RED SPRAY PAINT FIXED THAT!!

Simple canvas sheets. The back is like a laminate so it doesn't fray and fall apart. LOVE!
Exacto knives are the best way to cut out letters, Don't worry about it being PERFECT bc you will be using a permanent marker to trace the letters and can always go back and fix the little uneven edge, which you cant really tell since burlap is uneven.
Figure out what font and size you want your lettering. Once you have that figured out, choose to make your "outline". This saves you from wasting a bunch of black ink. You will be cutting these letters out and tossing them anyways. For the letters that have 'holes' (like my e and 0) in them, make sure you keep that part so you can trace around it! I feel dumb for not taking a picture of the paper with the letters cut out, but I was just waiting for the boys to wake up and beg for food or meds. Keep the paper, NOT the letters you cut out! This way everything is lined up and all you have to do is lay it on the burlap and trace.
Yeah... sorry for the sideways picture... dang camera on my phone!
As you can see though not all the lines are perfect. It's OK! Once you start to fill it in, it turns out even and lovely.
TADA! Too easy and really kind of a quick project. Cutting the letters out took the longest.
 I glued it down on the spray painted canvas, added some little wooden knob things I had laying around, and am surprisingly happy with a 1 hour project.
 
 
 
Now to find a stud in these dang walls!
Carrie Danilla Linn
 

No comments:

Post a Comment