Thursday, June 13, 2013

Challenge...

... Accepted!

Today Jameson was fussing up a storm (I promise he's fine... just a case of the serious hold-mes. I think it was something he caught from his dad, but don't worry I don't think it's contagious.), so I popped him into his car seat, strapped him into his high-tech jobbing stroller and took off down the road. He was silent before we left the drive way. We walked up to a nice side walked trail and had a nice long 4.5 mile stroll away from the traffic we just happen to be surrounded by in our nice quiet neighborhood. I would love to walk him around our neck of the woods, but their are no sidewalks and the roads are so bumpy walking on them makes you feel like you are on a wooden rollercoaster (If y'all have been on the Timberwolf at World's of Fun you would know what I'm talking about.), put a 5.5 week old in a stroller on those roads and it's just ridiculous.

I could have walked the entire Shunga Trail, but it was going to be getting too warm to have Jameson out much longer. Being out there made me really miss running. One year and a baby ago I used to run ALL THE TIME. I remember throwing on my tennis shoes, heading to the governor's mansion and just running the pathways always finding a new path. I really miss that. I know I will get back to running soon once Jameson gets a bit older and I'm actually able to jog with the jogging stroller (his poor little neck just can't quite take the bumping around yet.).

This got me thinking though about setting some goals. Nothing crazy... yet. Just starting small, but working up to some things that I really want to do.

Short term goal...
Work out 3 times a week, at least 30 minutes each time.
This wont be too hard, but I have to still make myself do it. I have taken Jameson out for a few walks, but lets face it, it's hard to get out during the summer with a newborn bc the weather is just a little to extreme for him. It may be only 78 degrees out at 0800, but the humidity is so high that you feel like you are walking through the lake.
So I have to find things that I can do here at home. This is easier said than done right now though since I have a sweet little baby boy who wont let me put him down without singing me the song of his people... at the top of his lungs. He can sure belt it out. So I guess I will just have to get creative like putting him on in his carrier or strapping him in his car seat some how onto the TotalGYM in the basement. Hey, with his weight and car seat weight that's about 17 or so extra added pounds!
So give me some easy at home workouts to do please! Keep it easy and to where I can keep an eye on Jameson though. But a challenge is needed.
And also help keep me accountable. It's hard to keep goals sometimes when you don't have someone giving you that push.

Long term goals...
5k...
RUN one every year starting this fall. (Grandma and Grandpa or Daddy can watch Jameson at the finish line.)
Color run...
I have really been wanting to do a color run since I have heard about it. What kind of fun would it be to run and get covered with colored powder? A LOT!
Tough Mudder by the time Jameson graduates grade school.
RUN a half marathon by the time Jameson graduates middle school/Jr. high.
RUN a full marathon by the time Jameson graduates high school.


I love being a runner so what better goals to have than ones that involve something I enjoy doing so much. What I like about the long term goals also is that usually these all involve raising money for charities. Run for a cause! Which I also do right now just from taking Jameson on walks when the weather is nice enough to do so. Download the app CharityMiles. For every mile you walk/run/bike an online sponsor will donate to a charity you choose. I have happily been donating to Wounded Warrior Project every time I take my sweet little boy for walks. Can't get better than that! But I also want to make sure that one run I do a year does help to raise money for a charity.

Miles down and miles to go
Carrie Linn

No comments:

Post a Comment