Tuesday, March 19, 2013

So you done and got yourself knocked up...

... what you need now is some help!

Ok I'm not the expert when it comes to being pregnant. I mean this is my first time! If you want an expert get ahold of the Duggards. That woman has an entire state she's given birth to! But I'm hoping I can give you a few pointers on more of what you need to help YOU out a bit... not to give medical advice (That is what your Dr and webMD are for... or Google if you want to freak out about the tiny red spot that showed up on your elbow you swear is the cause of your child having an extra arm growing from its forhead.)

Let me tell you that when Nic and I found out we were pregnant it was AWESOME!! Happy dance all around! Beer for daddy and juice box for mommy!

Then I started to feel like shit and Nic didn't get it bc ofcourse it isn't physically showing that I'm growing a human in my belly. That bundle of cells can make you feel like death in a matter of just a few days I swear. (I love you Jameson, but geeze child do you know how to start a ruckus!)

So here is my little list of things personally for me that I have needed pretty much everyday to survive this wonderful time of my life... I mean that sarcastically and seriously people!

Food!
Yes this is an abvious one, but there are certain food stages I went through that were pretty major changes.
At first it was anything bland, light, and usually dry to soak up the feeling that I could loose the single cracker I had eaten in the last 1000 hours. Yes it was bad at first for me once the nausea set in. 7-up, ginger ale, all that stuff that is supposed to help with upset stomachs... Um no. They were way too sweet for my stomach and made me more miserable. Gatorade, water, and the awesome and still favorite v-8 fusion drinks were my go to. Calories, hydration, and little bit of flavor that my taste buds could handle. Then food was pretty much crackers, bananas, and pasta with little stuff on it (enough to make it not stick together in one giant clump, but still pretty much no flavor).

Then it came to the stage where I was a little picky, but ate so much that I literally put down a large veggie lovers Papa Murphy's pizza to myself... on 3 or 4 separate occasions. I wasn't the biggest fan of meat, it just didnt taste quite right to me, but I would still eat a small portion of it bc Chunky and I needed it. Fruit... As stated in an eariler post I could have lived off of Cuties oranges and been a happy camper!
Now I'm to the point where you just have to make sure there is food around every 2 hours and I'm happy. Spicy is a fave of Jameson's (Daddy's boy for sure!) And sweets are a MUST. I haven't eaten more ice cream, cupcakes, and other sweets I think since I was in cooking class in high school and you got to taste test everyone's recipes.

Clothes...
At first I had to deal with the MAJOR bloat! I had never had my 'fat' pants not be able to make their way over my thighs before (if y'all know my skinny butt you know this is serious bloating!) I literally lived in sweat pants at first or went around with jeans that were too big every where except the waist... where I learned the awesome rubber band trick to keep my britches from falling down. Then you get to the point where you can wear regular jeans just in a larger size and still pretty much the same shirts as before you got prego. Woohoo! Wear out that favorite shirt of yours... It might be the last time that sucker fits over your boobs! Speaking of boobs... HELLO LADIES!! I never thought I would get boobs! Now they arent no DD... far from still, but they are a huge improvement from having to wear bandaids for bras. Ask Nic... they look great. HAHA Now that I am 33 weeks prego though... Clothes... HAHAH! PJs ladies... and your husband's PJs work best! Sadly Nic came home for the weekend and took most of his tshirts with him... Jerk right! What the heck an I supposed to wear over this bump that his son is creating?! I have found a few things that I can wear out of the house and it looks like I sort of have my shit together. I cant believe I'm actually going to say this... Jeggins are awesome! Now you will never find me in a pair of skin tone ones that are way too tight so it looks like I wearing no pants and my shirt barely goes to my waist. I refuse to be on people of Walmart! But finding a few that look like skinny jeans do go well with the shirts that rock this cute bump. Maternity pants.... BWAHAHA! If you have booty, hips, and are 4'3" tall ROCK THEM GIRLFRIEND! But I have yet to find a pair that would fit my long skinny legs... I'm thinking I need to go into the maternity clothing business and create cute, comfy, and realistic clothing. Oh and dont forget a cute pair or two of slip on shoes that are a bit too big... your feet can swell in a day, and well you won't be able to bend over soon to put your shoes on without becoming winded.
Do you have this in size "Non-rediculous"?

Comfort...
Get a body pillow. Acutally get like a million pillows in all shapes, sizes, fluffiness, and firmness they offer. You will most likely make your SO mad for taking up the entire bed with pillows to be comfortable. He can get over it or wear a full term baby body suit for 9 months while getting punched in the ribs randomly through the day while suffering from a fake hang over (after effects of drinking without actually getting to enjoy the bottle of wine you really want) and having a 15lb weight on his bladder at all times. In other words... he can sleep on the couch. But you will for sure want a nice pillow to go between your legs so your hips and knees wont hurt. Eventually you will need a pillow for under the bump and some even under your boobs (prob those girls up!) and since you can't lay on your back without it feeling like your spine is being crushed, get a good pillow for under your head so your shoulder doesnt take so much pressure. I have a nice, fluffy, and super soft fabric body pillow that does the trick from the neck down and invested in few good pillows to lay my pretty little head on. The less pillows you can get away with the better. I feel like I'm wrestling a gator in the middle of the night when I try to roll over. I also have just a small little throw pillow that pretty much never leaves my side... Seriously. I take it in the car with me so I can have it behind my lower back, to sit on when my butt falls asleep, or to use to nap on. I have even taken it to places to use in the always uncomfortable chairs they make you sit on in resturaunts and the such. They can look at you funny, but they aren't carrying Jackie Chan.


Snacks...
Yes this should go with food I guess. But when you are home you just get up (or make your SO get off his butt) and walk to the kitchen and find a snack. Now is the time to invest in that 'mom purse' you always teased your mother about. I usually have a bottle of water, bottle of some sort of juice (usually the SOBE waters), trail mix (nuts are great for you!), candy bar, box of cheeze-its, and other assortied snacks in my purse... and that's just to run to the store real quick! If I'm going to be away from the house for few hours I usually pack a little lunch box with yogurt, string cheese and other things to hold me off until I actually get some real food in me. Laugh all you want but when you think you are starting to get hungry... you will be STARVING within 5 minutes! Always have snacks!

Pharmacy...
Get the horse pills full of nasty tasting stuff we call 'prenatals'. They are nasty. They are almost impossible to swallow. They are essential. They also give you horrible smelling pee.
Tums Tums and more Tums. Awesome for everything your belly will do to you.
Tylenol meds ONLY! If you have sore muscles, Tylenol only. Headache, Tylenol only. Cold/flu, Tylenol cold/flu products only. They are making bank off of us pregos!
Heartburn meds you will really want! I take Prilosec OTC (well the generic brand). I'm not sure of all the ones that are safe for you to take so make sure you check with your Dr first. But you will really want this come the 3rd trimester. You will eat everything in site... and even water will give you nasty heartburn... Trust me you want to have these!
Actual size of prenatals if you are looking at this on a 52" screen.

OK so I know I'm missing a few things, but these are my musts that I've needed to survive the last several months. Enjoy it, really ladies! It's a crazy time. You may lose your shit a few times. But hey... you're making a BABY!! Celebrate with that juice box and animal crackers and kick your feet up while you own the remote bc your SO is grounded from being selfish for the next 9 months.

Laying in bed, eating jelly beans, and feeling Jameson use my rib cage as a jungle gym
Carrie Linn

No comments:

Post a Comment