Sunday, March 10, 2013

Thers's Strong...

... Then there's Army Strong!



Like stated in my last post my husband is an Army Ranger (Rangers lead the way!). The military is something I have been around one way or another for almost my entire life. My step-dad was an Army Ranger, few cousins that were in the Marines and National Guard, lots of military friends, and well lets be honest I'm a good ol American Patriot. (I have the "Made in America" tattoo to prove it!)

The career is something I very much admire and have more respect for the troops past, present, and future than anyone else really. They are what keep this country going.

But let me tell you the lifestyle is not all rainbows and unicorns! It can suck! I knew alot of what I was getting into when I married Nic, but that doesn't mean I would enjoy all the crap we would have to put up with out of the blue. Not a single person wants their other half to leave for 3-15 months at a time. We hate when we make plans and the next week we are told they are leaving for a month for training some place on a 26 hour bus ride away. How about that week+ of training in the field they have to do on your birthday/anniversary/holiday. Then there is the 24 hour duty that comes down on them right after you find out you are pregnant and are hoping he will be home that evening for dinner so you can tell them the awesome news. FUN TIMES RIGHT!!

We deal with the heartache of them being gone, but also so much else. The daily hardships get to them. Long hours for them in a unit they may hate and can't excape from. The one guy who just doesn't seem to get it. The boss who just doesn't care. The civilians who seem to think the most evil things about them. The internal struggle they are afraid to talk about and face bc them it becomes too real. Feeling they deserve that promotion bc they have proven themselves time and time again but dont get it. Feeling you are being stepped on and over abused by someone higher than you on a power trip. The stereotypes that are passed by those that know better and those that have no clue.

Then there is the stuggles at home. Dealing with the 'free' benefits can be a pain in the ass! If you dont think so try getting a needed schedule for an ultrasound that is closer than 2 week out and tell me how much luck you have. And dont get me started on pharmacy waiting lines! (We have been lucky so far... *knock on wood*) And have you tried going to the commisary on payday! HAHAHA! Get your soldier's kevlar on! Being alone to take care of everything on the home front is hard when the military can be so strict. If you dont have 29764938601.2 pieces of paperwork filled out the correct way, into the correct office, with the correct person, signed in the right blood, and give your first born, you are royally screwed! I know that everyone has a hard job, but dear lord you would think that 90% of the offices that have to deal with paperwork dont know what the heck they are doing or take their sweet ass time doing something that is of dire importance. And even then you have to sweet talk that office lady with 10lbs of chocolate and a date with Brad Pitt in the Bahamas to get a copy of something you need!

Please don't get me started on the stereotypes that are spread around by mil spouse and civilians alike! Yes sadly there are some mooching, lazy, over weight, think they are better than everyone, go to CO for every home issue, cheating spouses in the military world. There are plenty in the civilian world too but you dont hear about even close to as much. My thoughts behind that? We are a small group compared to the masses and those in a smaller population tend to be judged much more harshly than the masses that do the exact same thing. Not right I know... but people can really suck!

It is a hard life. But you know, I honestly wouldn't trade it for the world. We have had our struggles like every life has, but we fight through it and make it out alive through the fire fight. The time being away from Nic is always very hard on my heart and soul. It gets to me and I will never lie or hide that fact. It is really worth it though when he gets home, I get to wrap my arms around his neck, he gives me the biggest hug and kiss, and tells me how much he loves me and how much he missed me.



If there is no better feeling in this lifetime than the times when I get my husband back in my arms after being away from eachother for any amount of time, then I'd say this life is pretty good to me!

Hooah!
Carrie Linn

No comments:

Post a Comment