Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Protect and Support...

... the promises of our marriage.

Nic and I got married December 21st, 2011. It was a simple ceremony in Vegas. No we didn't get married by Elvis... This was the compromise I had to make so Nic wouldn't get his wish of the drive through wedding.

Any way, before the ceremony we were with the minister marrying us talking a bit about ourselves. Nic metioned he was in the Army and had just got back from Iraq early November. It was a quick ceremony, was video recorded... but sadly the sound didn't come through on the video... Not cool right! But thats ok bc there was a part that was in our vows that I will never forget were put there by the minister.

Protect and Support

This nailed what our marriage would become on the head. Nic's vow to protect me. My vow to support him.


Now don't get me wrong. We are human and had definantly had our ups and downs. We have been through alot though in our little over a year of marriage. They say the first few years are the hardest... Well I have a feeling it can only get better from where we have been.


Sorry... Writing ADHD (SQUIRREL!)

Back to Protect and Support.

Nic has protected me from day one in so many ways. From being a hero for this country that I admire to standing up for me when I've been put down. He will literally take a physical and metaphorical bullet for me.

Heck he tought me how to shoot a bullet even! He has held my hand through so much, kept me warm and comforted at night, and wiped my tears. He doesn't let my stubborness get in the way of bettering myself and our relationship. When I feel down about my appearance, we looks me in the eye, tells me I'm beautiful and makes me believe it. He kisses me on the forehead (which pretty much feels like the entire world doesn't exsist). He squishes me when we snuggle bc he wants to make sure nothing can get to me. He pretty much carries me everywhere if there is any sort of snow or anything on the ground to make sure I never fall. He doesn't let me carry heavy things (no matter how much I argue that I can handle it). Let's face it... he babies me a bit. I'm spoiled by him.


Support on my part I feel comes in all shapes. Now I can't talk a whole lot about it bc personally I dont know how he feels about my support for him. So I'll try to do my best of what he has told and/or showed me.

Our relationship began with support for him. He was in Iraq when we started dating. I was born a patriot and have always supported our military, but dating someone thousands of miles away in a war zone was definantly going to have it's challenges. We had been able to talk everyday. Then all of a sudden I come home from work to find a message from not even 5 minutes before on my computer from Nic saying "I wont be able to talk for a few days. Please don't worry about me Carrie. I love you."

Now let me set this up for you. He was in a war zone. We had talked EVERYDAY for few weeks now. Had never said I love you to each other. And here I am told by a soldier not to worry. When will they learn NEVER to say "Don't worry". It's equal to "Don't look down"

I literally broke down cryinng and couldn't stop for hours bc I was terrified. I was terrified when I read those words bc I knew I was madly in love with Nic. I was terrified that I couldn't do it. I was terrified that I would never get to talk to him again. I was terrified that I would never get to hold the man who I knew I could not live without.

The next several days I had no life in my soul. I would rush home from work everyday praying to have a message from him only to start crying again when there wasn't one. After those long, horrible, terrifying, draining days I got a phone call at 0437 (Yes I know the EXACT time). I groggily answered my phone with a grunt. I heard a small laugh on the line. "Hey beautiful." From that moment I knew we would spend our lives together.
Our first picture after he got home from Iraq


Everyday he was there I would send a prayer for his and every soldier's safety. When he came back I was there to greet him with the biggest hug and kiss of all time. When he had to leave for a month for school in GA, a month of helping train others in Cali, and another month in Cali, I was patiently waiting for him at home (Not easily patient... but still patient) and still greeted him everytime with the biggest hug and kiss and pure happieness. When he had to go to the field for a few days I always made snacks for him and the guys. (AKA my kids!)

Yes I have told him a few times that I really hate the Army (more so bc of how it's run), but I would support his career every single day. I would always be home waiting for him no matter how long or where he had to go. I knew from day one that it would be a stuggle in this life style, but bring it on!


Now I dont just support his career. I support his hobbies too (mostly his fishing habit!) LOL He loves to go fishing, but doesn't like going alone. Now I'm am NOT a fisher. It has never stopped me though from grabbing a chair, book, few snacks and going with him and sitting in the sun and keeping him company (and looking at his butt in those tight jeans. Yeah Buddy!). I never have a problem touching the bait, unhooking a fish, and even getting my boots muddy for him. (Well and rubber ducks) I think it is a great time!


We have had struggles like every relationship, but we fought through them together. He has protected me when needed and I have supported him when needed. It's something that we will always remember about our vows. The most important words in our vows to eachother.


Supporting my Protector
Carrie Linn

No comments:

Post a Comment